Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Rescued by a Brix Jar Key: A Review


Jar Key in Action

My Problem

I am 72 and have arthritis in my hands. I shop at Costco a lot and often buy large jars with vacuum lids. Large jars that are four inches in diameter are almost impossible to open. I have tried numerous other kinds of jar openers. I had one I thought was very good, but it broke when I tried to open my large jar of artichokes. I purchased Jar Key (also known as JarPop!) because I had jars I simply could not open. The photo shows my husband using it.

All of the openers I had tried before had handles with a gripper of some sort on the end. One would have to try to get the gripper around the jar lid and then tighten the handles (or handle) with one hand while holding the jar steady with the other. Usually either the gripper would not go all the way around or, if it did, my hand couldn't hold the jar firmly in place because of its size. My hand wouldn't go all the way around it. My husband couldn't open the jars, either. These gripper gadgets will work only when a jar and its lid is small or if the lid is threaded. They don't work on large vacuum sealed jars.

So, there I was with a few large jars I couldn't open. I wanted to get at the artichokes or spaghetti sauce. What to do?

The Simple Solution


Jar opened easily with Jar Key
I checked Amazon in search of a jar opening gadget that was not in my local stores. I found the Jar Key. I ordered it and another tool that looked promising -- just in case. So far I've not had to use the other tool. I removed my Jar Key from its packaging, and got out my artichoke jar. I put the Jar Key edge under the edge of the jar lid and lifted it up, as my husband demonstrated above. It works like a "church key" in that respect. As soon as I lifted, it "popped" the vacuum of the lid and the lid easily came off. It truly was like magic. I'm going to buy another one for another location soon. I don't ever want to be without this handy tool again. If you don't have one yet, it's time to get one -- especially if you have a tough time opening these jars. While you're at it, get the four-pack. The tab that goes under the lid broke after a few years of use, so it's good to have a replacement handy.





Photos of Jar Key in use were taken by me and may not be used without permission.




Note: The author may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article. “As an Amazon Associate, Ebay (EPN) and/or Esty (Awin) Affiliate, I (we) earn from qualifying purchases.”


10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful gadget to have in the kitchen! I have such a terrible time opening some jars. I don't have the needed grip ability either. Thanks for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some of these larger jars, I would imagine even younger people may have trouble. Jar Key has been such a help to me.

      Delete
  2. I'm so pleased to find out about this product. I've been having more and more problems opening jars due to decreased strength in my hands and the typical rubber grippers don't work for me at all anymore. Thanks so much for this review, Barbara. I see a needed purchase coming soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I tried everything I could find with no success until I got Jar Key, which was still called JarPop! at the time. All that's changed is its name.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to remember this gadget as well, my mom could really use this! She has the same issue opening jars - thanks for the review, very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I hope you can get her one. It's like magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, I hope you can get her one. It's like magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a tool that I could use in my kitchen. So glad I saw this article Barbara. Pinning it to my Kitchen board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mean I won't have to pound on the lid with a knife handle anymore? :) After pounding doesn't work, usually my husband and I work together to get jars open (he holds the jar; I use a rubber gripper to turn the lid). This looks amazingly easy. Thanks for the recommendation, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I'm ordering this today! I'm 70 and have COPD. Among other things, my muscles are weak and opening any jar is a pain. (literally) -- Thank you so much for this post! Sandy!

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Reviews on Review This Reviews






Search for Reviews by Subject, Author or Title

The Review This Reviews Contributors



SylvestermouseSylvestermouseDawn Rae BDawn Rae BMbgPhotoMbgPhotoBrite-IdeasBrite-IdeasWednesday ElfWednesday ElfOlivia MorrisOlivia MorrisTreasures by BrendaTreasures by BrendaThe Savvy AgeThe Savvy AgeMargaret SchindelMargaret SchindelRaintree AnnieRaintree AnnieLou16Lou16Sam MonacoSam MonacoTracey BoyerTracey BoyerRenaissance WomanRenaissance WomanBarbRadBarbRadBev OwensBev OwensBuckHawkBuckHawkDecorating for EventsDecorating for EventsHeather426Heather426Coletta TeskeColetta TeskeMissMerFaeryMissMerFaeryMickie_GMickie_G

 


Review This Reviews is Dedicated to the Memory of Our Beloved Friend and Fellow Contributor

Susan DeppnerSusan Deppner

We may be apart, but
You Are Not Forgotten





“As an Amazon Associate, Ebay (EPN) and or Etsy (Awin) Affiliate, I (we) earn from purchases.” Disclosure Statement

X