Monday, May 30, 2016

Fun Holiday Review for "Water a Flower Day" ~ May 30

Illustration of watering can watering a row of flowers in pots
Source: Pixabay


We are all familiar with the rhyme “April showers bring May flowers," so having May 30 designated as 'Water a Flower Day' seems appropriate.

No one knows the origin of this day, but gardeners and flower fanciers are glad someone created this day.



A World of Flowers


There are over 400,000 types of flowers in the world.  I found this list of the top 12 most beautiful flowers in the world:

  1. Rose
  2. Bird of Paradise
  3. Calla Lily
  4. Magnolia
  5. Water Lilies
  6. Tulip
  7. Orchids
  8. Dahlia
  9. Chrysanthemum
  10. Plumeria
  11. Gazania
  12. Passion Flower

It's not surprising (to me) that the Rose is Number One on this list.  What is YOUR favorite flower?  As you can see by the above postcard photo (available on Zazzle), Cynthia Sylvestermouse of the Review This! blog likes the Rose of Sharon.




My Favorite Flower is the Lilac




I have always loved Lilacs.  As a child, the back door of our house had lilac bushes on either side, one white and one lavender. To this day I can remember the lovely lilac scents in the Springtime.  

And our city, Rochester, New York, is famous for the Lilac Festival held every Spring in May in Highland Park where over 1200 lilac shrubs and bushes can be found.  Mary Beth Granger (mbgphoto) here on Review This! offers this lovely photo of Lilacs by the Water in her Zazzle Store.



Crafty Flowers


A collage of handmade coasters with floral designs
Floral Coasters on Etsy

I like to craft and I love flowers, so it was natural to me to create a few floral beverage coasters as a way to keep flowers in your home year-round. And these flowers never need watering! These, and a variety of floral design beverage coasters, can be found on Etsy in the Coastal Crochet Crafts shop.



Pansy Coaster

Image of a Pansy flower on a beverage coaster
Pansy Beverage Coasters


Pansies are lovely on your tabletop as beverage coasters.

The word Pansy means "thought" and the pansy flower is considered a symbol of remembrance.  These pansy design floral coasters would make a thoughtful hostess gift or housewarming gift. 

 A pretty complement to your home decor, these pansy coasters are available in my Etsy Shop, Coastal Crochet Crafts.



Yellow Jonquil Flower Coasters


jonquil floral coaster
Jonquil Floral Coaster

This is a lovely set of beverage coasters handmade using plastic canvas and acrylic yarn. The design is a yellow Jonquil flower with green leaves set on an eggshell-white background. The Jonquil flower is a member of the Daffodil family of flowers of the genus Narcissus. 






Daylily Floral Coasters


Daylily image of a floral coaster
Daylily Floral Coaster

This Daylily design is on a set of four beverage coasters with a design of a single daylily on each. Although daylilies come in a variety of colors, I chose the melon shades for this set.

Handmade using plastic canvas and acrylic yarn in melon orange and peach, the daylily design sits on an off-white Ecru background. Each coaster measures 4 x 4 inches.



Black Eyed Susan Beverage Coasters

Black Eyed Susan image of a coaster
Black Eyed Susan Coasters

The Black Eyed Susan flower is part of the Sunflower family of flowers.  

This is a set of four beverage coasters with a Black-Eyed Susan flower design. 

Handmade in plastic canvas and acrylic yarn in yellows and greens with a dark brown center, the design sits on an eggshell-white background. The coasters are square, measuring 4.25 x 4.25 inches each. 



Celebrate 'Water a Flower Day'

 

Water a Flower Day is a yearly reminder every May 30 for us to show our flowers how much we appreciate them for their beautiful colors and fragrant blossoms. 

Whether you like to smell the flowers, grow the flowers or photograph flowers, never forget to WATER the flowers!

Check out the links below from some of the contributors on Review This! for advice on how to grow and photograph your favorite flowers!





Book pages and roses
Image source: Pixabay

There are many books about Flowers to be found on Amazon by clicking
here







Note: The author may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article. “As an Amazon Associate, Ebay (EPN) and/or Esty (Awin) Affiliate, I (we) earn from qualifying purchases.”


13 comments:

  1. What beautiful flowers you've shared for this special day! My favorite flower is the one I'm looking at at the time. Too hard to pick a true favorite, though I'm partial to daisy-type flowers such as the black-eyed Susan (that one for rather obvious reasons). I enjoyed reading about your lilac memories as we planted a lilac bush this year and I'm very much looking forward to enjoying those blossoms in the future. It's at the corner of the house, near our bedroom window. Looking forward to fragrant breezes! Hope you enjoy your Water a Flower holiday, Elf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks for coming to enjoy the flowers with me today. I know you will love your lilac bush. The scent of lilacs is so lovely and the blossoms are gorgeous.

      Delete
  2. Flowers make our world a more beautiful place with their bursts of color springing out all over the place. Even the little dandelions in my grass make me smile. Of course I love the gardens and the areas created by us to care for flowers, but I also love the peekers and snickers that some people refer to as wildflowers. You are absolutely right that the Rose of Sharon is one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite. My pink lily of the valley bloomed for the first time this year. I'm sure the neighbors wondered why I was out in my pajamas dancing around a concrete pot of big leaves (that's what they would look like from a distance). My husband would join you in your love for lilacs.

    Elf, all of your coaster sets are lovely, but I bet you already know, it is the pink rose that that beckons and calls my name. What a joyous way to start the day with a lovely bunch of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! And, thank you for including my Rose of Sharon!

      Delete
    2. Your Rose of Sharon is so lovely (you are SUCH a good photographer) and I was delighted to include it. Delighted also that you liked my handmade coasters. Always fun to share my creations.

      Delete
  3. Aw, thank you for including my Budget Balcony link. What great timing, after being away for the weekend, my balcony flowers and plants need watered! It is impossible for me to chose a favorite flower. I do love roses, but they don't love me. My hibiscus loves me. and I do really welly with morning glories. So I think I will list those three flowers as tied for first, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Glories are so pretty, Dawn Rae. Glad you got those balcony flowers watered after your weekend away. :) Thanks for visiting 'Water the Flower Day'.

      Delete
  4. Love this article. My favorite flower is a daisy...I especially love the classic white/yellow ones. Thanks for including my lilac Zazzle item. I love the smell of lilacs in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lilacs too, Mary Beth. Thanks for stopping by to smell (and water) the flowers. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Wednesday Elf, I love Morning Glory too. Apparently, tho, it's considered a "weed" in many areas. When we were first married (1977) and living on my in-law's 200 acre farm, I wanted to cultivate the pretty Morning Glories I found growing wild here and there around the farm - AND wanted to plant more. My FIL about had a fit, that I wanted to keep those weeds! LOL! Fun memories! Here in California, I see purple Morning Glories, or maybe they are a cousin to the white ones. Very pretty, tho!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw this, so I'm a bit late for the holiday, but I faithfully water my flowers twice a week as the city allows. Our water is rationed. I love it when God does the watering from the sky. My favorite flower is the iris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I miss this one? Nice list of flowers and now we have watering cans to make keeping them happy easier! Great Flowers and I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olivia. Pretty watering cans go nicely with these pretty flowers. A watering happiness! :)

      Delete

Most Recent Reviews on Review This Reviews






Search for Reviews by Subject, Author or Title

The Review This Reviews Contributors



SylvestermouseSylvestermouseDawn Rae BDawn Rae BMbgPhotoMbgPhotoBrite-IdeasBrite-IdeasWednesday ElfWednesday ElfOlivia MorrisOlivia MorrisTreasures by BrendaTreasures by BrendaThe Savvy AgeThe Savvy AgeMargaret SchindelMargaret SchindelRaintree AnnieRaintree AnnieLou16Lou16Sam MonacoSam MonacoTracey BoyerTracey BoyerRenaissance WomanRenaissance WomanBarbRadBarbRadBev OwensBev OwensBuckHawkBuckHawkDecorating for EventsDecorating for EventsHeather426Heather426Coletta TeskeColetta TeskeMissMerFaeryMissMerFaeryMickie_GMickie_G

 


Review This Reviews is Dedicated to the Memory of Our Beloved Friend and Fellow Contributor

Susan DeppnerSusan Deppner

We may be apart, but
You Are Not Forgotten





“As an Amazon Associate, Ebay (EPN) and or Etsy (Awin) Affiliate, I (we) earn from purchases.” Disclosure Statement

X